Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Beware of The Lowest Common Denominator

Common sense is not common enough. That’s why we have rules and laws. They are made for the lowest common denominator – those who don’t have enough common sense.

Don’t drink and drive. That’s just common sense. Yet we need a law that states that and corresponding punishments because some people don’t understand the common sense. They are the lowest common denominator. The law is for them.

Don’t drive more that 50 km above the speed limit because that is extremely unsafe. That’s common sense, right? Think about that. Don’t drive 100 in a 50k zone. Don’t drive 130 in an 80k zone. Don’t drive 150 in a 100k zone. Why is that so difficult to understand? Yet we need a special law for the lowest common denominator.

Don’t talk on your cell phone when driving your car. I was annoyed when this law was first proposed. How dare they tell me what to do in my car? I drive safely when I use my cell phone. Then I noticed all the other idiots using their cell phones while driving. I now agree that we need the law because of the lowest common denominator.

The next time that you run into a rule or law that annoys you, ask yourself two questions, “Is this for the lowest common denominator?” and “Am I guilty of being that lowest common denominator?”

If you aren’t the LCD then be thankful that someone is doing something constructive about the other idiots who are messing things up for the rest of us.

If you are the LCD – please wise up and save the rest of us some grief.


George Torok

Host of Business in Motion

List to Business in Motion Podcasts

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: